The first post of a new blog is an ill-defined beast. I could introduce myself, or I could jump right into the meat of the matter. Neither of those options seems entirely appropriate.
I am not a teacher, nor a parent, but I am a lover of books: all of them – epic novels, modernist satire, heavy non-fiction tomes, biographies, histories, comedies and tragedies. Populist and Literary, high art and low culture. ‘Give me books’, said Keats, ‘French wine, fruit, fine weather and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know’. That is the good life.
Here’s some of the things you can expect to see here over the coming weeks and months:
- Point Horror reconsidered
- Banned books in Children’s literature
- Why writing for children is hard work
- The value of books without words
- My Favourite Feminist Fables
- and (as I believe it is traditional to say) much more!
So, welcome. Challenge and question, but above all – enjoy!